Courses Start At
Inside U.S. 866.480.7223 Outside U.S. 678.804.8835

Frequently Asked Questions

Below are our FAQ’s, if you have a question that is not answered here, please give us a call.

Are there age requirements?

You must be 16 years of age and hold a valid state driver's license to attend the school. If you are under the age of 18, you will need to have parent or guardian notarize a Minor Release.

Are there physical restrictions?

All drivers should be in good physical condition, not have any head, neck or back problems or any other problems that may prevent them from participating in a high speed driving activity.  Drivers must have full use and feeling of their arms and legs.  Drivers must be able to maneuver adequately to get into and out of a dragster.  Although our dragsters are large (relative to many dragsters), race car cockpits tend to be restrictive for some people.  If you have any doubt that you will fit comfortably, please contact us so we can offer you guidance.

How many students are in each class?

This depends on the program.  Our ‘Dragster Adventure' programs may have up to 20 drivers.  The Competition Super Comp and Super Gas classes can have 16 drivers.  Our Top Alcohol Dragster and Top Alcohol Funny Car courses are often ‘one-on-one’ instruction.  Each driver receives the same instruction and number of runs no matter the size of the class.

How many runs do I get in the Dragster Adventure?

In the Dragster Adventure each driver will get 3 runs.  The first will be a half track run (1/8 mile) and the next 2 runs will be full quarter mile runs!  Drivers will need to demonstrate proper skill and judgement on the half track run in order to make full runs.

How many runs do I get in the Dragster Adventure Challenge?

In the Dragster Adventure Challenge each driver will be guaranteed 1 run in the first round of eliminations.  If a driver wins his or her first round of eliminations they will move into the second round for another run.  A driver will continue to race until a winner and runner-up are declared.  As an example, should 16 drivers compete in the Dragster Adventure Challenge the race would consist of 4 rounds (or runs) for both the winner and the runner-up!  Remember that drivers only pay for the first round of eliminations… if a driver makes it to the second round, it costs NO MORE to keep driving!

How many runs do I get in the Licensing Courses?

In our Super Comp and Super Gas programs drivers receive 6 runs.  If a student drives well he or she can earn a competition racing license with these 6 runs.  There is an opportunity at the end of each class for drivers to purchase additional runs (cost $250 per run).  The drivers may need 1 or more extra runs to complete licensing or they may choose to make additional runs to improve their skill or simply to enjoy themselves.

What do I need to wear?

All drivers will need comfortable footwear like running shoes if they have a pair.  No one can drive with open-toed shoes or heels.  Participants will also need calf-length socks (no shorties).  Some drivers choose to wear or bring short pants which they can wear under the racing pants which are provided by the school.

What should I bring with me?

All drivers will need to bring a valid state driver’s license.  We suggest you bring a cooler with food and drinks for yourself and guests as there is no food or drink available at any of the race tracks.

What time do I need to be at the race track?

~ Be at the race track at 7:30 am for the Super Comp and Super Gas competition license class.

~ Be at the trace track at 8:00 am for the Dragster Adventure class and the Alcohol Programs.

How do I find directions to the track?

The race tracks are listed under the "About Us" heading.  If you click on the ‘link’ for the race track you will be attending you will find directions.  When you are enrolled in a class we will email you any unique instructions for each track and/or gate locations for each track.

Can I bring a guest?

Yes.  There will be a viewing area at each track where guests can watch the action, however no guests will be allowed in the classroom or restricted areas of the raceway. In our competition classes we do offer ‘Classroom Only’ courses. There is a charge for this and arrangements need to be made prior to the class.

Can I purchase a ‘Dragster Adventure’ or ‘Dragster Adventure Challenge’ on-line?

Yes you can! You can see a full list of our available dates and locations on our booking page.

Can I purchase a ‘Competition Course’ on-line?

Not currently. To schedule a spot in any Licensing Course we will need to have personal contact with you.  We would like to talk with you by phone however we can also communicate by email. Additionally we’d like to hear about your racing background and goals so we can help you choose the course that will enable you to meet those goals.

Can I attend Frank's classroom lectures and instruction without being with a driver?

Yes.  We have many experienced drivers attend Frank's lectures on 'Personal Performance Development'.  There is a fee to attend.

What is a ‘cross-over’ license?

Once a driver has qualified for a competition license in either the Super Gas or the Super Comp car they can ‘cross-over’ to the other type of car and obtain a competition license in a second class of vehicle.  All racing organizations require a different license for long wheelbase cars (125” and over like our dragsters) and short wheelbase (125” and shorter like our Super gas cars).  A driver can ‘cross-over’ and obtain second competition license with 3 additional runs.  The first run is half track (1/8 mile) which is followed by 2 full ¼ mile runs.  Cross-over runs are made at the end of the class.  Many of our drivers choose to do this.

What if I want to reschedule or cancel a ‘Dragster Adventure’ class?

You MUST contact us to reschedule or cancel any class. You will be charged a $50 fee for rescheduling or canceling a class if you do so more than 30 days prior to the class date.  After that time there will be no refund.

What if I want to reschedule or cancel a ‘Licensing Course’?

You MUST contact us to reschedule or cancel any ‘Licensing Course’. You will be charged a $100 fee for rescheduling or canceling a class if you do so more than 30 days prior to the first day of the class. After that time all tuition or deposits will be non-refundable.

What if I don’t ‘show up’ for a class?

If you do not show there will be no refund.

What if I can’t complete the course due to weather or mechanical problems?

Although this rarely happens we will work with you to reschedule your class.  There are no refunds however.

Can I return to the school without repeating the full class?

Yes.  We often have drivers that return one or more times.  They may be coming back to complete license runs, cross-over to another type of car or just to drive the cars again. The cost is on a per run basis with a 3 run minimum.

How long do I have to redeem a gift certificate?

A certificate is good for 1 year from ‘date of purchase’.

What track should I choose to drive on?

Unlike road courses or ovals that are often different in design all of our drag strips offer the same full quarter mile experience. You can choose one that is close to you or a location you’d like to visit.  Schools held at Gainesville Raceway in Gainesville, FL; Auto Club Dragway in Fontana, CA; Tucson Dragway in Tucson, AZ and The Strip at Las Vegas, NV are great places for folks to plan a vacation.  Many people like to take a trip, drive some cars, enjoy the weather and take in many of the other attractions offered at these locations.

The tracks at Summit Motorsports Park in Norwalk, OH; Royal Purple Raceway in Houston, TX; Route 66 Raceway in Joliet, IL; Woodburn Dragstrip in Woodburn, OR; and Maple Grove Raceway in Reading Pennsylvania, are all NHRA National event race tracks that are geographically close to a major portion of the US population.

© 2014 Frank Hawley Drag Racing School. All rights reserved.
A PC House Production